For a while now I’ve been very curious as to how Matcha (green tea powder) would taste in oatmeal. I adore the flavor of Matcha, especially lattes – which are my absolute favorite way to have Matcha. It can also be found in candy, chocolate and ice cream.
I finally decided to try some in my oatmeal in a very simple way – I was curious and I have seen it floating around the internet! I bought my Matcha powder form my local Korean/Japanese store for around $6. Some can be more expensive however, and that matters as the higher the price is the higher chance of getting a better quality powder!
Matcha (for me anyway) would require a little bit of sweetening as the flavor is very ‘earthy’ I simply use a small amount of maple syrup and it’s perfect.
Matcha Oatmeal Recipe:
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp Matcha powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Bring 3/4 cup of non-dary milk to a boil (I use 1/2 water 1/2 milk), add in oats then reduce heat to a medium and stir occasionally.
- When some liquid has absorbed stir in the Matcha powder and maple syrup and stir well.
- When you’ve reached a desired texture remove from the heat and add into a bowl – add any toppings you love. (I used dark chocolate and hemp seeds)
*I used measurements based on my oatmeal package for 1 serving of oatmeal – please adjust accordingly to suit yourself!*
Overall, I enjoyed the taste and it was a new experience. However saying that I couldn’t finish the bowl, and I ALWAYS finish my bowl, I may be small but I can surely eat a lot! The flavour was quite intense for me after a while, I think because I didn’t add enough toppings, maybe with some coconut and banana it would be better. I possible will try again in the future! But for now I think this is a nice recipe to try, but I’m doubtful I’ll be crazing Matcha oatmeal again.